The first annual Kentucky Kendo Tournament was held in Georgetown Kentucky at the Toyota Motors Manufacturing Kentucky (TMMK) Fitness Center on Sunday March 11 2012 to round out a busy weekend of Kendo. The yearly Student Kendo Tournament was expanded this year to include students and adults. The division were as follows:
1. Kids No Bogu
2. Kids 12 years old and under
3. Youth 13 - 18 years old
4. Mudansha (No Dan rank, 13 years old and up)
5. Shodan (1Dan)/ Nidan (2Dan)
6. Sandan (3Dan) and higher rank
8. Team - Kids 12 years old and under
9. Team - Youth and Adult 13 years old and up. Special “Kachi-nuki-ho” format - Winner Stays.
The 13 years and older Team division used a special “Kachi-nuki-ho” format which is called “The Last Man Standing”. Basically a Kendo Player fights match after match until he/she looses. It tests your endurance as well as your ability to win matches without rest. You can check the Regional website (ECUSKF.com) for results of this year’s Kentucky Tournament.
Judges in position for the Kid's No-Bogu match
The day before on Saturday March 10 a Regional promotion test was given in Lexington KY. Congratulations to everyone who passed! The next Regional promotion and tournament (Johnson Cup) will be this Fall.